Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve

How did Matt and I say good bye to 2013? By building our house of course! On New Year's Eve, Matt, Todd and I spent the day working on the house. After all the work we had done the day before, we got the exterior walls up pretty fast. And, by a small miracle, our trusses came early for our roof!!! This meant that we would be able to have a chance to get the roof on before it snows again, which would be amazing. I do not want to shovel out the foundation again, that sucked!

Trusses got literally dropped off the truck, I was worried the guy was going to break them! This is the framing for the roof of our house. Sunroc had to come measure our foundation before they could build these so they would fit perfectly and still have our vault and tray ceiling in the right places.

Matt and I put this wall up pretty quick. This is the kitchen. I was in charge of getting all the studs in place and Matt or Todd would come through and nail everything together.

These also went up super fast because they are all so small.  You can see in this picture where I had laid out the other walls to be put together.

This was the second longest wall in the house, ready to be stood up. We had to have some of Matt and Todd's work friends come over and lift the wall. I was in charge of picking up pizzas and drinks as a thank you to these guys for helping us lift this wall and the back wall. There were seven of us and it was still super heavy!

View from the kitchen with all the exterior walls up!

This is the wall leading from the mudroom into the garage. You can see the plate is laid out to frame the mudroom/laundry room and pantry.

All the plate laid out for the interior walls!

I walked pretty far around this hole all day. After falling off the house the other day, I was worried I would fall down this hole, which is a ten foot drop and would definitely hurt.

Todd was a champ. While Matt and I were laying out the plate for the interior walls and measuring everything, Todd had framed the entire garage by himself. We had to help carry the big beam above the garage because it was super heavy, but he pretty much did everything else by himself! I was Todd's personal lumber hauler to help him get started in here- I had to move like a million 2x6s for him to use, but I think it helped him keep moving because he didn't ever have to stop to get lumber.

Front view! Changing every day!


After working on the house all day, Matt and I were SOOO tired. Jenni and Nate Shields invited us over for games and treats for New Year's Eve and I have to admit that I barely made it. The Fischer's are infamous for not playing games, and I thought that the women would end up playing games while the guys watched football. Surprisingly, Nate got out "Whitetail-opoly" which is the hunting version of Monopoly and all the guys played. In fact, the guys were super competitive! I was surprised at how into it everyone got. I thought for sure that people would get tired and give up.


Harrison and Wyatt working on the car. They had the car lifted up and were looking underneath the car and playing with tools. Melissa even had to run out to the car to get Wyatt's glasses so that he could match Harrison with the awesome safety goggles. 

By the end of Monopoly, I was freaking killing everyone! Even the banker and accountant were begging for mercy (I wasn't too worried about the construction workers). By the end of the game, I owned pretty much all the property and ALL the hotels and had over $8,000 in cash. It was awesome! Reminded me of playing Monopoly on the Super Nintendo with my grandma when I was little.

All those white hotels were mine! Not to mention most of the houses too!

After our LONG game of Monopoly finally finished, Nate was hanging on forever, Melissa, Jenni and I went to the hospital to visit Jenny who was working. They were super busy and we had to wait for like 15 minutes before she had a free second, and by the time we got back on our way home, it was already midnight! We basically missed the only reason people stay up that late, but that's okay! We had a way fun night! Bring on 2014!

No comments: