Thursday, December 5, 2013

It's Starting to Look Like a Real House!

Matt and I thank our lucky stars that it hasn't snowed this week! We have been waiting to have the lot backfilled, and the guy wouldn't bring his truck out if it was icy. On Wednesday, they put all the dirt from the big pile back into the holes and started smoothing everything out. I have been very nervous about this because our house sits up on our lot quite a bit more than our neighbors to the west. I didn't want to have to have crazy landscaping to make it look normal sitting up so high. However, now that it has been backfilled, my concerns have been eased! Everything is looking better than I expected!

This will be our driveway and garage. They had to bring in "manufactured dirt" (which we have to pay extra for- of course) because it is apparently better than regular dirt.

View of the porch. We are going to have to do a little rock wall to build up the ground to the porch so it doesn't look weird with our basement window sitting so high out of the ground.

The front bedroom will sit on top of the foundation wall here, but I really wanted to show how the ground is going to slope down to our neighbors to the west. We thought we were going to have to build a rock wall along our neighbor's fence because we thought we'd be way higher than them and didn't want a giant slope, but it turned out great! We probably won't need any special landscaping back here.

View of the back of the house from the west:
My camera wouldn't focus for some reason on this one. I wanted to show that not only is our big dirt hill GONE, but the backyard is way more level than I expected. Again, we were worried that the slope from our east neighbors to our west neighbors would make it so we'd have a slope from one side of the yard to the other, but it turned out fine. The little dirt pile left is our top soil.

View of the east side of the house, where we connect to our neighbors. Their side is a little easier because they don't have a fence.

Another view of the backyard:

On the left is where we'll build our kitchen (obviously on the main floor) and the right is our garage.

I am such a nerd. I get way panicked about little things and then when everything happens it all turns out fine. I need to keep reminding myself of this when I start getting crazy! Next up: Basement and garage floor! Hopefully tomorrow or Monday if it isn't too cold! They won't pour concrete in this ridiculous cold weather!

No comments: