Saturday, March 2, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

This year for Valentine's day, I was planning on getting up early to set up my present for Matt to find when he woke up. The gift idea came because of a conversation that Matt had with Jed and Todd at work. In an effort to "advise" Jed on buying Valentine's gifts, Matt and Todd told Jed to spend money on things that he didn't want to as a gift to his wife, such as flowers, chocolate, go to a movie you don't want to see, eat dinner at a restaurant you don't like, etc. So I decided that instead of going to our annual Valentine's day chick movie, I would surprise Matt and we would go to an Aggie basketball game. Well when I get up to set up my present, this is what I see:



Matt wins best husband award. Not only did he get me flowers (he told me that he made the WalMart florist go to the back to get the nicest bunch), he also got me chocolate (Dove hearts), and a Barnes and Noble gift card, and wrote me a sweet note. He told me in his note that it showed how much he loves me that he got me books for Valentine's day. haha. After work, we went to the basketball game and had a blast. This is our fifth year celebrating Valentine's day, and it just keeps getting better every year.

Matt, I love you so much and can't imagine my life without you in it!

On a side note, my new school has a Valentine's day tradition, that instead of having parties, we have "tea" AKA cake and punch and all the kids get dressed up and we teach them about etiquette. This year I wasn't really prepared, but we ended up having a good time. We talked about manners and etiquette, and I assigned a boy to escort a girl around the school throughout the day. At first the kids thought this was a crazy idea, but they really got into it as the day went on. They were all dressed up in their nicest clothes and were so cute! I had one boy who didn't have any cake. I asked him why he didn't get any cake and he said, "My partner, Gracie, can't have any cake, so I'm not going to have any either." So cute! Gracie is allergic to eggs and can't have cake, and what a sweet little boy to try not to make her uncomfortable!
After tea, we went up to the gym to learn the Virginia Reel. We teach Utah history in fourth grade, and this is also a fourth grade tradition. Again, the kids were not that excited, but as you can see from the video, they totally got into it!


We passed out Valentines at the end of the day and all in all, the kids and I had a very fun day.

No comments: