Friday, May 16, 2014

Turkey Success!

Matt has been turkey hunting for four years now. He started right after we got married and has increasingly become more and more obsessed with turkey hunting each year. He has also had NO SUCCESS. Finally, this year, the busiest we have ever been and with the least amount of scouting, Matt finally shot his turkey! He sent me this picture when I got to work. He got up soooo early every day to go hunt and then would go to work after hunting. On this day, he was hunting alone. He was sad that no one was there to give him a high-five, but he said everyone on the mountain could hear him whooping and hollering after he shot it!


That night, Matt and Jenny (okay, mostly Jenny) cooked Matt's turkey and they had a Thanksgiving dinner! I was at my class so I missed the whole thing. However, I did hear that the turkey meat was "the best turkey" Matt had ever eaten. He said it was super moist and didn't taste gamey at all.

A few days later, Brad's youth hunt started. On opening morning, Matt, Randy, Nate and Brad went up to look for turkeys. Matt had pretty much figured out where the turkeys were roosting, so he got them all into the right spot. Matt said Brad was super loud walking around, which is bad because turkeys have really good hearing and eyesight. Matt was worried Brad was going to scare all the turkeys away. Once they got settled, Matt started calling the turkeys and three walked right up to them! To Brad's credit, he took this tom with a single shot! Matt said he threw his gun on the ground and ran down to see his prize! He was one happy camper! They picked up Jenny, Jenni and the little kids and all went out to breakfast at L.D.s in Richmond. Of course, I was at work! I miss everything!



No comments: