Thursday, May 1, 2014

Quick Updates

I've been thinking about it all day and have come to the realization that we are too busy. We have spent a whole six-eight hours at home awake this week. From Monday to Thursday, a whopping 6-8 hours. We are both up early to go to work, home from work only to run over to the house to start work, and back home between 9 and 10 every night. Needless to say, everything is a disaster. I have loads of laundry in a basket that have been sitting untouched since they were dried on Sunday. The dishes just sit filthy in the sink until they start to smell. The garbage cans are all overflowing. My car is a complete disaster zone. Even my purse is literally hanging by a thread. Any day now it is just going to rip and spill all my stuff out. I am exhausted. Matt is exhausted. He is so exhausted, he doesn't have the energy to hang the new toilet paper roll, so he just sets it on the counter. We have several days worth of dirty clothes on the bathroom floor. Yes. We are disgusting. I have zero energy to do any of that stuff when I get home. I need my house to be done! Not just want. No. NEED.

Here are a few updates from the past week:

I love paying people to do things. It means that stuff gets done and Matt and I don't have to do it! This week our new friend Blake started the soffit and facia. He is also going to finish the siding that isn't done (that we don't have the time, energy, materials, equipment, etc. to do ourselves). Then we can call our other neighbor Dan to come by and paint the outside.




Matt and I have been slowly working away at the rock. We are almost done. Just the post, one wall, and one side of the garage. Then we get to grout the whole thing! Gah. The nice thing is that this is pretty much the last thing we'll have to do ourselves outside. We are paying someone to pour the driveway, and paying another guy to build the rock wall and level the lot. We will have to put in lights and outlets when we do finish electrical, but that's pretty much it outside. Oh, and we need to buy a garage door. 

We started working on tile this week. We are going to do all the tile floors, then move on to the hardwood floors so the cabinets can get installed soon. We are in a bit of a rush because we decided to do granite countertops, which apparently take three weeks to make AFTER they measure your installed cabinets! We were hoping to be ready to close the first week of June, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. It's looking more like the third or fourth week of June if we're lucky.

This is the small bathroom that we started last night (technically we started prepping for tile on Monday, but did the tile work last night). Tonight we got about a third of the way through the master bath. Matt is going to work tomorrow and finish the master bath. In the evening, I will start grouting and Matt will finish laying tile in the mudroom. We're hoping to be able to have me grout all day on Saturday and Matt start hardwood. Phew. We'll see if it actually happens! I can't wait to see what the tile looks like after it is grouted and we put on the baseboard.

So there is the quick update. I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, because I know that I am the luckiest person ever! I am soooo happy with our house. Everything is coming together even better than I thought it would and I love that we are building it ourselves and that I get to be a big part of that. I love that I know what it takes to build a house and that Matt trusts me to help him. I love that I get to make all the decisions and get exactly what I want! I am sooooo lucky. Just tired.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I SO hear you and we are not even doing our entire house!