Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

Last year, I got put on the Veteran's Day committee by default. I was new, and they needed another person. So I volunteered to run the CD player, and it went great. This year, I volunteered for the same duty, and it turned out to be so much more. I was able to invite my Grandpa Norton to come speak to the kids about his experiences in World War II and help them understand what Veteran's Day is all about.

My Grandpa did a great job! We had almost 600 kids and almost that many other guests come to the program. My Grandpa thought he would be speaking to just my class, so he was a little surprised when it was so many people! I did tell him! He just forgot! The kids sang a few patriotic songs and Grandpa spoke. There were many people later who went up to Grandpa to thank him for his stories and service. It was very moving. Many teachers told me how impressed they were by him and I agree! He is 92 years old, has 9 children, 47 grandchildren, and 115 great-grandchildren! People gasped aloud when I read this in his introduction. I was shaking so bad while I was reading his introduction! I think he was less nervous than I was!


I am so grateful for my Grandpa's service for our country. It is a good reminder every day about how much we owe to our military servicemen and women. He told me later how impressed he was by our kids and how much he enjoyed the experience. I think that I was more impressed by him, and enjoyed his speech more! Thank you Grandpa! I love you very much!

No comments: