The apology: I apologize for making my blog private without telling anyone. I blame Randy. You should too. He text me one day and told me that it would be smart to make my blog private while I job hunt. He's a smart guy. So that's what I did. It's true that I sometimes don't want my boss (or prospective boss) reading my blog.
The surprise: I am happy to announce that I was offered a job in Cache County School District for next school year! I will be teaching fourth grade at Summit Elementary in Smithfield. Again, you can blame Randy...
When I decided to start looking in Cache Valley, I found out that I missed a sign-up for a screening interview. Apparently, people don't usually get hired without first going through this screening interview, and I was on the waiting list. So, when Randy called, I asked him if he knew anyone in the district who could help me get this interview. Come to find out, he knew the son of the SUPERINTENDENT. Hello, good luck! So, Randy worked his magic, but didn't think it would work out. He asked me to send him my resume, which he forwarded to the superintendent. About a week later, I got a call inviting me to the screening interview, and I got an email from the Director of Human Resources saying that he got my resume and was very impressed. Well, the interview went amazing. There were 30 applicants all looking for jobs, and this was the second screening interview. We all had to stand up and tell about our experience. 80-90% of the other applicants had ZERO experience. I was very proud to claim three years of experience in Canyons District. I did my one-on-one interview with a principal that I already knew from my practicum while I was a student. She was very impressed. Two days later, I was fielding calls from the HR department from all the schools that were interested in interviewing me! I had one phone interview immediately. Then I had three interviews up in Logan. Two of the three schools offered me jobs on the spot, basically hoping that I would choose to work for them. I have never felt wanted/needed in Canyons District. And now schools are fighting over me and I can have my pick? Definitely a new and exciting feeling. After a lot of thought, I chose Summit Elementary and I am very excited.
We didn't want to announce the job until we had things figured out in terms of housing. We didn't expect it to take so long to get figured out, which is why the cat is out of the bag. But, thankfully, we can report that we have figured out our housing situation and we will be going up to Logan to sign paperwork tomorrow. We are moving into a townhome/apartment in Logan city, just northwest of the temple grounds. And for those of you who know your Aggies, the previous tenant was Tyler Newbold! Tyler played basketball for Utah State when I was a student, and it was really fun to get to talk to him a little bit and see his jersey up on the wall. I think the experience reminded me of one of the many reasons why I love Logan so much, being a part of something so great!
Obviously we are really excited. There are still about a million things to do, but we are happy and feel like this is the right place for us to be right now.
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment