Saturday, September 14, 2013

Back to School 2013

Wow, I can't believe that I have been back to school for over three weeks and haven't posted anything. Okay, I can believe it. This class that I have this year has already been a doozy (it took me a while to think of this word... there were many others I wanted to use instead but thought would not be appropriate).

First of all, I started the year with 33 kids. The other fourth grade classes had 29. The day before school started, the principal asked if I'd like to move a couple of them into the other classes, but I had already gotten everything ready and I said no. This has turned out to be a good call, because some of the kids that have moved in since then would have been hard to bring into our class.

I read a book written by the Disney Imagineers this summer that inspired my bulletin board for the hallway. I HATE making bulletin boards so I try to make boards that I can leave up for a while. This has so far been great. I got a lot of compliments from other Disney freaks like me about how much they liked it.


I have a cartridge for my Cricut that is Disney and does the cute Mickey heads and Minnie bows.


Back to school night was the best I think I've ever had. I actually said everything that I needed to say, and several parents told me after that I did a great job and they loved the information they received.

The first day of school was crazy. I've never had a class with so much loud energy on the first day of school. I barely got half-way through my regular first day of school material. I was so frustrated at the end of the day, but it taught me a lesson about my class: EVERYTHING takes longer with this group. I have to lower my expectations of what we can accomplish during the day or else I will be frustrated every day that they aren't getting through it.

Needless to say, the last few weeks have progressed like the first day. Lots of noise. Lots of frustration. Lots of kids messing around. I have made a million changes, and had a lot of kids in trouble already, and still nothing is working. One day, I had about the worst day I've had in a long time, definitely my worst day at Summit. In the middle of the day, my principal saw me and asked what he could do to help. Jokingly I said, "Refill my Coke!" About 10 minutes later, I had a fresh Pepsi on my desk to help me survive the day. Definitely good principal award! This week, I went to see my principal and we talked about some of the reasons the kids are so crazy, and he was so great to tell me that it wasn't my fault. I needed to hear that!

This week we went on our first field trip. This is a fun, outdoors field trip, usually held up Logan Canyon. They had to relocate due to the rain, but we were still outside for the day. I didn't expect to have any problems. I mean, this is a field trip! Kids love field trips and are usually on very good behavior for other adults, especially fun and interesting adults! I was so sad at the result. The kids were crazy and disrespectful all day. Around lunch time, I had the feeling that we should go back to school. I gave the kids a warning and we stayed. Within an hour, I knew that I was right, that we needed to go back to school. Luckily (or maybe by divine intervention) we had our own bus and were able to leave immediately. The kids didn't know what hit them. I called the principal and he met us back at school and gave them a lecture following my lecture. I have never felt like my whole class should have to leave a field trip due to behavior. It was very sad for the kids to miss out on a fun activity. The principal told them that they'll have to earn back their field trips for later in the year, that at this moment, they are not going on any other field trips.

I love the support I'm getting at school from my principal and other teachers. I've had many teachers and parents tell me how hard this group of kids is and how they are supporting everything I'm doing to get things under control. I also have the best husband and sister-in-law. One day Matt came in and brought me lunch, and Jenny has brought me Cokes more than once since school started. I hope that things turn around for the better with this group of kids! And soon!

No comments: