On Friday Matt and I went to see the MS specialist, Dr. Kaplan out at LDS hospital (well, across the street). We were the first appointment of the day and got there at 8:15 AM. We filled out our stack of paperwork and waited. When we got into the exam room, we were met by the physician's assistant, Sally, who was very nice. She asked us a million and a half questions about my medical history, did some minor tests (can you feel this? is this cold? etc.), and talked to us about the crazy rollercoaster that we have been on this month. She couldn't believe it. Most people don't get diagnosed with MS after a brain biopsy.
Then she left. We waited. And waited. Finally the doctor came in. She told us that she couldn't be 100% sure that I have MS without some more testing. AHHHH! She wanted me to do another MRI (on my spine and neck) and have a lumbar puncture before she could determine any kind of treatment. She asked if I had any questions. YES! But I only asked one: Why can't we take it out? Because MS is a disease that breaks down the myelin sheaths that surround my nerves. The "blob" is really an area of damaged nerves, and if we took it out, I would be without those nerves. One question down, one million to go.
So we head out to the waiting room and wait. Duh. They schedule my MRI and my lumbar puncture and we have 45 minutes to eat lunch and get over there. We get there and... wait. Finally they take me up for my 90 minute MRI. Holy cow, sitting for that long without moving is really hard! Then we went straight downstairs to do the lumbar puncture. And guess what? We waited again. Finally the P.A. came in and did the lumbar puncture, which didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. It felt like I was burning in a straight line down my back and into my spine, and then it was gone. We had to wait for one hour in a recovery room before I could go home. I had to spend the rest of the night reclined, but I didn't get a headache or anything.
Poor Matt. He spent 9 hours in the doctor's office and hospital on Friday without anything to do. He burned the batteries on both our phones playing Grow. I told him to go home during my MRI but he wouldn't leave me. Such a good husband.
The worst part is that we are still waiting. I have my follow-up appointment tomorrow (Tuesday), so hopefully we will get some answers and maybe start some treatment! I would love to feel my body again!
2 years ago
2 comments:
Oh Tori what a crazy roller coaster! Kevin has had a lot of appts for various things but I can't say I've ever had to do it all day! Hopefully you can find some helpful treatments. I'm kind of a hippie sometimes so I looked up what Dr. Mercola recommends and one thing I remember him saying was lots of vitamin D.(sun)So I guess we need to go to another beach ;)
Please let us know if you need anything at all! We are praying for you and Matt.
Post a Comment