Monday, December 28, 2015

Ben's Discovery of Solids

At Ben's four month appointment in November, Dr. Brown gave us the green light to start trying solids. We started out with rice cereal mixed with formula, and Ben figured out the spoon and sitting up while eating really fast. Then we added sweet potatoes. He LOVED them! He would open his mouth really wide and make yummy noises the whole time he ate. After he was doing well with the one feeding a day, we added a breakfast feeding and fruit! Now he's eating breakfast and dinner with solid foods and eats rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, squash, bananas, pears, and apples. The only thing he's had but didn't like was peas!

Some meals are cleaner than others, but he's always happy after!

I have become a little obsessed with making baby food. I have been buying a lot of produce for myself and decided to just buy the Sam's Club size of everything and eat half myself and turn the rest into baby food. It is not that hard and actually kind of fun to learn how to make everything. I had to ask for a food processor for Christmas after my first blender died though...

Our unsuccessful experience with peas. See the full bowl of uneaten peas on the right and the wiped clean bowl of sweet potatoes on the left. He would purse his lips and spit out anything I could get in there! Such a drama queen! (He takes after his mom)

Kamie let us borrow her Bumbo until Ben was sitting up well enough for his highchair. Ben is a chunker and barely fits in the Bumbo. We have to pry him out of it! Luckily he figured out how to sit up and we can use his highchair now!

I can't even tell you how many ice cube trays I've broken making baby food. When it is frozen it sometimes struggles to come out of the ice cube tray and I guess I just don't know my own strength... Yeah a lot of broken ice cube trays. I finally bought the big expensive ones. I've only broken one of those!

It has been so fun watching Ben grow into these different stages. I miss his newborn size, but love his interactions and watching him learn and try new things!

No comments: