Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Life in the New House

Everyone always asks us how we are liking living in the new house. It is definitely amazing! There are a few things however that we didn't expect:
  • We put out our garbage can every week and the recycling bin every other week. At first, both cans were always overflowing with moving garbage, however now that we are settled, I feel a little crazy taking my garbage can to the curb with it's two little bags of garbage inside. I almost feel like I'm wasting the garbage man's time by making him stop to pick up such a measly load.
  • We still have about a million things to do! I thought we were done! Little things like putting the toilet paper rods in the bathroom (yes, the toilet paper roll just sits on the counter), organizing all the crap in the garage, touching up paint, even putting away some boxes! I wrote a list for Matt to work on while I was at work and he has done like two things on my two page list. I guess being homeowners means that we always have something to do at home!
  • We are still getting used to being in a real neighborhood, especially knowing that we aren't going to be moving anytime soon! We got to participate in a ward activity that was really fun. One Friday everyone showed up at a farmer's field to harvest an acre of corn that he had planted for the ward. We walked through the field picking corn, and then went back to the common area for dinner and a corn boil! They sent us home with a giant bag of corn (over three dozen ears). Most people freeze the corn, but I just gave most of it away. It was the best corn I've ever had!
  • I absolutely love having people over. I almost don't ever want to go to other people's houses because I'd rather invite everyone over. I always make my bed before people come over because I have to give everyone a tour of the house! And last week we got a mattress for the bed in our spare room and I am so happy that I can invite people over to stay for the night!
  • After a couple weeks in the house, we started seeing ants crawling around. I didn't think it was a problem until Matt left a box with a doughnut out on the side table overnight. When we woke up the next morning, they were everywhere! It was disgusting. The carpet looked like it was moving because there were so many ants crawling around. That's when we got serious about getting rid of them! Why a brand new house was being overrun with ants is still a mystery to me. We tried some Pinterest  remedies at first, and then bought a small spray, which graduated to some small traps, then finally a giant bottle of house spray. Luckily we haven't had any problems since, but I was furious!

No comments: