Tuesday, January 15, 2013

One Year Later

One year ago, I had brain surgery and was diagnosed with MS. I can't believe that it has been a year. That was probably the fastest year of my life. A lot of things in our lives changed because of my diagnosis. Matt and I had to learn the hard way about being prepared for emergency medical expenses as we learned how expensive it is to go to the doctor, have multiple MRIs, have brain surgery, spend the night in the ICU, and all the many, many follow-up doctor's visits.

MS changed the way I deal with stress. Matt and I both were too stressed out in our old jobs and decided to get new jobs. I interviewed for all kinds of jobs in Salt Lake, and felt that Logan was the right place to go. I immediately got a job in Cache Valley, and we started looking for an apartment. After a long day of looking at apartments, we decided to look at KSL one more time and it just happened that a new apartment had been posted. We called, checked it out, and found the perfect place. We love where we live. We moved all our stuff to the new apartment before school was even over, and we lived at Matt's parents' house for a couple weeks until I was done with work.

Matt's job fell into his lap when we got up to Logan, and he loves it more every day (especially on days that the temperature is not below zero). It will be a challenge to get him back in school because he hates school and loves to work! I love my new job also. It is so refreshing to work somewhere where people actually care about their kids' education and recognize how hard I am working and actually appreciate what I am doing for their kids. I enjoy going to work every day.

We get to spend more and more time with some of our nieces and nephews, as well as Randy and Jenny. It is so fun to be so close to family and get to watch the kids grow. We are excited for Tim and Kamie and Reagan to move closer to us. I wish everyone we knew lived in Logan, but we also appreciate the time we spend with other family members more because we don't see everyone as often.

As far as the MS goes, nothing has really changed. I am still numb on my right side, mostly in my foot and leg, with no end in sight. I have gotten really good at giving myself my shot, and balancing the corresponding meds so I'm not too sick. We have just made the transition to my new health insurance (which has been a nightmare getting started, but will be an INCREDIBLE blessing). Due to my meds, I will hit my out-of-pocket deductible every year within a couple months as long as I am on my medicine (which is planned for the rest of my life, or until something better comes out). The best part is that I do not have to pay for this medicine due to our meager income. I guess some advantages do come from not having any money. Very few people know about my MS, and it has been nice not being treated any differently from anyone else. While I appreciated everyone's help when I had my surgery and was diagnosed, I just want to be treated the same as if I didn't have a chronic disease, and I get to do that now. 

I can't even think of anything bad that we have experienced since we moved here. We definitely have received more than our share of blessings and happiness. We look forward to more happiness in 2013.

No comments: