The author's name is Ben Behunin and his books are "Remembering Isaac," "Discovering Isaac," and "Becoming Isaac." Never heard of them? Probably not, because they are not for sale anywhere except for his house. Yeah. I know. So this guy is a potter, like making pots on a wheel, potter. He said he never had any interest in writing books until these stories were told to him, in his head. He said the voices telling him these stories kept coming until he finally gave in and started writing. He had a dream about what the books are supposed to look like, inside and out, and had to publish them his own way, he didn't want a publisher to ruin his vision of these books, since they were in fact not his books, but Isaac's, who "told" Ben the stories. These books are about a young potter trying to decide if he should settle in this little small town as the village potter, and about the lessons that the old potter, who has passed away, has taught all the people of the town. It's inspiring. I've been reminded of the little things we can do to remain Christ-like. It's not a self-help book, or in any way centered on a certain religion or preachy, but more about how this old potter taught people life lessons by relating everything to the life of Christ. Holy cow. Love it.
So my mom and I go to his house to get these books. His house. And you walk into his studio and it's a pottery studio, sooooo cool. He sells his pottery there too and most of it is beautiful. I have a little obsession with these tiles with quotes on them, he calls them "mudpies." You can check them out at his website below. I bought Matt one... I bet anyone can figure out which one... hahaha.
So seriously just take a look. Help out the local artists. I am seriously inspired by this guy. I asked him to come talk to my class about writing and he was totally up for it. Way cool.
Check out Ben's blog: http://rememberingisaac.blogspot.com/
Take a look at Ben's pottery site: http://www.potterboy.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment